Server configurations
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Hi everyone! Season's Greetings!

We had an extensive meeting on the 21st regarding the server configuration in Japan. We've decided many things, which I will try to document tonight, but also came up with a question regarding cgi binary placement/mirroring/allowable type in the CP. (I remember that we are going to make a directory for them, but that's as far as we went.)

1. Placement

Where should cgi binaries for each pavillion should go? Some possibilities are:

(a) Under a directory that is unique to the CP. We further have options to (i) keep all cgi binaries flat, or (ii) place them in a corresponding sub-directory structure that is identical to the main document tree.

e.g.) park.org/cgi-bin/<binaries>

or

park.org/cgi-bin/Japan/Theme/<binaries> (for park.org/Japan/Theme/ --- Japanese theme pavillion)

(b) Under a sub-directory for each pavillion's document directory.

e.g.) park.org/Japan/Theme/cgi-bin/<binaries>

(c) Under a sub-directory for each region. Further options are same as (a) above.

e.g.) park.org/Japan/cgi-bin/<binaries> or park.org/Japan/cgi-bin/Theme/<binaries>

2. Mirroring

The main concern here is the security. How do we prevent pavillion provided cgi binaries from screwing up the whole set of mirrored servers with bad joke? I'm novice in web servers. Tell me, is there a way such as chroot'ing to some specific place when a server execute cgi binaries ?

3. Types

Should we allow any kind of cgi binaries? We were talking about compiled C codes, which came to the consensus that we shouldn't allow this kind because there will be a porting effort, but we can also expect some binaries that may take up large amount of CPU time.

I wish you all your Merry Christmas and Happy New Year,

--- shinoda