KDD server is ready
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Good morning folks.

KDD's server is ready for loading with CP contents.

Software installation is not complete, but I'll continue to work on it.

Here's the server configuration.

architecture: Sparc Station 20 operating system: Solaris 2.4 memory: 256MB disk: 2GB * 5 address: 133.246.8.20 name: japan.park.org (other cnames will be given as required).

It's equipped with keysh (for login), keysu, wu-ftpd w/skey, perl, tclsh, httpd (ncsa), gcc.

I've made the expo96 account. You have to type in two passwords at login, the normal password and skey pass phrase. This is annoying, so I'll try to replace login with a version with skey enhancement when some one is physically next to the machine (I'm 200 miles away). ftpd is okay in this sense.

I couldn't get a copy of the volume manager, so we have to live with a set of separate disks for a while. However, I've come up with an idea that partly solves the space allocation problem.

(a) We have 5 * 2GB spindles, but one of them is about halfway full with softwares and swap spaces.

(b) We will start out with a fresh 2GB spindle, create a document root on that spindle. Other spindles will be mounted on separate directories.

(c) We load CP contents on the first disk. As we fill up the first disk, we will start making sub-directories (that probably correspond to pavillions) in one of the slack disks, copy the sub-directory contents from the first disk, and mount it with lo filesystem.

(d) Compared to mounting disks in the hierarchical manner and using links to get an extra space, with this method can we can avoid the problem of content objects appearing in out of context places in the directory structure.

What do you think? The disks are set up this way right now. /cp/htdocs for document root, and /cp1, /cp2, /cp3 for slack space. Feel free to re-arrange them.

--- shinoda