Re: Data - availability?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Bob: I think EDGAR requires too much work every day to expect it to turn into a volunteer project. I teach Sunday School and volunteer for United Way, but we are talking several full-time equivalents. EDGAR may not be rocket science, but it has a substantial workload and deadlines every day. Since this project consumes enough telecommunications and computer resources to store over 15 gigabytes of data, to upload and process hundreds of megabytes a day, and to download over a gigabyte of data every day, no University is going to *donate* this level of resources. Somebody needs to come up with *cash* - at least $400k per year?? Carl, how much? John

---------------Bob's Original Message---------------

Here are some suggestions on how a group might collaborate to take over the EDGAR diseemination project.

Of course, if some university department feels it can handle the project itself, then there's no need for any of the following.

I think a collaboration of individuals and businesses could set up and run the EDGAR dissemination project. I'm thinking of the Linux and GNU communities. THese are large collaborative projects, conducted via the internet, producing solid, spectacular results.

I suggest having a small group to oversee and coordinate the project. I hope the current custodians of the EDGAR project can give time and expertise to help the committee get organized and working.

Do I hear any volunteers? Also, is anyone from the current EDGAR project willing to serve as a contact to help get things going?

A charter is essential. We need to assure that the project will always exist to disseminate EDGAR information to the general public on a non-profit basis. No salaries, no Hawaii vacations for "volunteers", the project can never be sold to Mead, &etc.

A committee should coordinate groups in areas such as:

1. How to get the data from the SEC 2. Getting physical computer resources 3. Installing, configuring, and maintaining the database 4. Coordinating funding (grants, donations, fees) 5. Other areas as needed (public information, legal issues)

Are there any universities willing to donate CPU and harddrive space? Should we take up a collection for hardware? Does anyone have a dedicated line to share?

Does anyone want to get info on how to wrangle data from the SEC, and start making contacts?

So, let's get talking. Any ideas on what this collaboration should look like? Is anyone out there interested in leading it?

I'll consider working on the software installation and maintenance.

------ robert mela ------ cambridge ma, usa ------- rmela@shore.net -----

----------End of Original Message----------

John Graves johng@kentis.com 216-673-1300 Kent Information Services, Inc. 227 E. Main http://www.kentis.com Kent, OH 44240 Publications and continuing education that help professionals use the Internet in their work.