Re: EDGAR Dissemination shutdown woes
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Carl Melamud says:

>You have no idea what range of the public EDGAR is serving on
>the Internet without looking at the access logs.

OK, let's start with about 250 million Americans. Now eliminate those who have no access to computers at all. From those remaining, select those who have internet access. From those remaining, select those who have a need to look at documents filed with the SEC. From that pool, eliminate those who, when asked what EDGAR is, respond "What's what?" We now have a relatively small group who knows what EDGAR is and may have a need at least from time to time to use it. From that small group, select those who have actually used the EDGAR system. I don't need to look at any logs to conclude we're not talking about a broad segment of the public presently using EDGAR.

This isn't to say we're not talking about an important segment of the population, or a segment that doesn't have a major impact on capital formation. Or a segment that may supply a lot of campaign contributions. But by no stretch of the imagination are we talking about a broad segment of the general public.

Please understand that as a user myself, I'm certainly interested in having the access preserved. But let's not delude ourselves by thinking this a "grass roots" type issue. It isn't. No one's going to be swayed much by the number of votes cast by EDGAR users.

Dave T.