Chonggak Kimchi (Whole Young Radish Kimchi)
The kimchi is thick with boiled fish juice and flour paste. It is popular in the southern
regions. They usually make the kimchi together with Dongchimi, before they
prepare the winter kimchi stock, so that they can take them out before the Chinese
Cabbage kimchi is fermented. Shrimp or yellow corvenia juice can replace the anchovy juice;
it preserves better with the replacement.
Materials(makes for four) and Precooking
|| choose fresh and solid, but not too big, ones. Wash clean. Salt for 2 hours and rinse. Drain.
young scallion, leaf mustard
|| wash and clean. Add to the salting radish when it is almost wilted. Let sit for 1 hour together with the radish.
|| wash and clean. Cut at slanted angles.
|| boil together with the same amount of water. Remove the solid parts with a fine strainer when boiled.
|| gather up the solid part and mince.
garlic and ginger
|| clean and wash. Mince.
- Some of the materials and most of the wares actually needed are not included in the
materials list, assuming they are readily available in any home.
- Metric values are approximated into pounds and inches, as they are not absolutes.
- Seasoning; Add ground red chili to the boiled anchovy juice and mix well. Add the rice
paste and knead. Mix in the scallion, shrimp juice, garlic, ginger and sugar.
- Put young radish, young scallion and leaf mustard in the seasoning and knead well. Gather
a few leaves of mustard and young scallion together to bind the radish. Pile neatly in the
- Cover the rolls with a layer of radish leaves. Cover the lid and let ferment. It takes about
2 weeks to ferment during the season of making the winter kimchi stock.
[ Prev |