Chinese Cabbage Kimchi
Although it varies region to region, chinese cabbage kimchi is made throughout Korea as the
Of course it will taste different depending upon how you make the seasoning, appropriate
salting is also important for this type of kimchi. Salting decides how it feels to chew, and
how much of the seasoning is weaved into the cabbage. Salt alone cannot wilt the cabbage
evenly; salted water is the best way. Too much salt will result in too much wilted leaves
while the fibery parts are still fresh. Leave it too long in salted water and the sweet taste of
the cabbage is lost.
Materials(makes for four) and Precooking
|| Remove the brown outer leaves and quarter, or halve, depending on the size of each head. Soak in salted water for 5 or 6 hours. Rinse well and drain.
|| remove the leaves and slice into 4cm (1 1/2 inch) strips.
dropwort, leaf mustard, young scallion
|| clean and wash. Cut into 4cm pieces.
|| wash and clean. Cut at slanted angles.
ground red chili
|| soak in warm water.
garlic and ginger
|| peel and crush separately.
|| wash gently in salted water.
|| gather up the solid part and mince.
- Some of the materials and most of the wares actually needed are not included in the
materials list, assuming they are readily available in any home.
- Metric values are approximated into pounds and inches, as they are not absolutes.
- Seasoning; Mix the strips of radish with ground red chili and knead until the radish is
reddened evenly. Add dropwort, leaf mustard, young scallion, scallion, minced garlic and
ginger to the mixture. Add shrimp juice also. Flavor with salt and sugar. Oysters come last
in order not to crush.
- When the cabbage is well-drained, apply the seasoning between the leaves of cabbage and
fold. Wrap with one of the roll's outer leaves so that the seasoning remains between the
- Pile each roll neatly in a pot. Cover a layer of cabbage leaves on top of the pile and
weight with a clean stone.
- After fermenting, take out only what you need at one time and cut to serve. Replace the
layer of leaves and stone. This way it will last long fresh without turning sour.
[ Prev |