Re: What is IMS trying to achieve?
bullet bullet
  • To: G.Joly@cs.ucl.ac.uk (Gordon Joly)
  • Subject: Re: What is IMS trying to achieve?
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl@radio.com>
  • Date: Wed, 11 Jan 1995 09:58:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Cc: carl@radio.com, mbone@ISI.EDU
bullet bullet

According to Gordon Joly:

> An observation I would make would be to compare the number of
> participants in NASA Select vat window compared with IMS sessions.

That is one of the silliest comments I've heard in a long time (and I live in Washington, D.C., the home of silly comments). Do you really want to get into the business of judging what forms of content are acceptable to be transmitted? This list has no business deciding that Nasa is OK, Princess Di is not; the Rolling Stones are OK, the U.S. Senate is not.

Far as I can tell, the issue is how we allocate bandwidth on the mbone. I don't think we have a scalable solution yet, though ideas like scoping addresses, finer-grain ttl mechanisms, and, above all, more use of local and regional ttl on sessions pre-configured conferences show promise.

For the short term, I don't see anything broken. No person who wants to transmit something appears to have been denied the opportunity to do so. Please don't get into the business of deciding if other people's work has merit. If we're hurting you, yell. If there isn't a real problem that needs solving, however, wouldn't it make more sense to concentrate on your own work?

Carl