Patent Information on the Internet
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Dear Secretary Brown,

I recently came across the Patent Office database maintained on line by the Internet Multicasting Service and was chagrined to discover that the service is no longer available. As a researcher at MIT, I was very pleased to discover an easy and inexpensive way to search for patents via the Internet and disappointed that it is no longer available.

I have some ideas with which I hope to start my own company after I receive my PhD, but I of course do not want to infringe on the intellectual property rights of others in the process. An inexpensive method for searching the patent database would be very helpful in preventing wasted effort and future legal trouble.

I feel that, since taxpayer dollars support the Patent Office and the patent filers themselves do most of the work in patent preparation, it is reasonable to release the information on a low-cost or free basis.

Please allow for free or low-cost patent searches, especially by those who are not in corporate environments.

Sincerely yours,

Robert B. Calhoun rcalhoun@mit.edu