French Nuclear Testing statement and Embassy of France
bullet bullet
  • To: "Carl Malamud, Noted Author" <carl@malamud.com>
  • Subject: French Nuclear Testing statement and Embassy of France
  • From: mmetalmug@nsf.gov (NameRemoved ForPrivacy)
  • Date: Thu, 21 Sep 1995 11:04:28 -0400
bullet bullet

Carl,

This is a ticklish situation. A bit of an ethical dilemma.

You, personally, and Town.Hall.Org (aka IMS), corporately, have all freedom-of-speech rights to publish whatever message you wish. No contest.

But, in hosting the French Embassy's Home Page (or equivalent) you acted in a semi-official capacity, almost a trust, but at least as a host. Dumping on your former guest the way you do is a bit uncivil, though you have every [Constitutional] right to do so. It takes unfair advantage of your former guest--a cheap shot. You might assert that France takes unfair advantage of their trust (colonial?) territories--another cheap shot (pun intended)? But, two wrongs do not make a right.

If you were to simply replace your message with one that says something like "The French Embassy in Washington is no longer at this address [the new URL is:...]" it would, I suggest, be a lot cleaner.

Remember that France is a member of G7. This is not intended as a threat. Really. But, if France were to get upset about this at the official level it could come back to haunt us in the (increasingly promising) pas de deux of IMS/World's Fair and G7-GIS-GIBN.

Thanks,

NameRemoved