Re: Internet World's Fair
bullet bullet
  • To: dihughes@canarie.ca (Doug Hughes)
  • Subject: Re: Internet World's Fair
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 1995 12:18:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Cc: tkalil@ARPA.MIL, fairmaster@radio.com
bullet bullet

Hi Doug -

I agree that there is a lot of synergy between the two projects!

The fair has been really shaping up. We have ministerial level support in the U.S., Japan, Singapore, Netherlands, Thailand, and Switzerland, with more countries signing up. Corporate support to date includes 1 terrabyte of disk from Quantum, studio space from NBC television, and lots of computers, routers, and the like. Most important, the fair events are coming from real world-class institutions including Kennedy Center, Lincoln Center, Tokyo Aquarium, WOMAD Festival, and others.

I think that by working together, we both have a better chance of achieving our goals. The fair brings in some countries (e.g., Singapore) that might not participate otherwise, and I believe the combined strength of the G-7 agreement and the fair might get us more bandwidth than we might otherwise see.

Our current goal with the Railroad is to put run T3-speed connect from MAE-East in Washington, D.C. to NASA-Ames (MAE-West) to Tokyo to Singapore to France/Amsterdam/England/Stockholm and then back to the U.S. An even more robust architecture would use Stockholm/Canada/US to fill out the transatlantic bandwidth. We'd like to see the bandwidth up for all of 1996, but beggars can't be choosy. ;-)

Can we talk about ways we can coordinate the two projects? We've got some real technical hotshots, plus lots of routers, and other equipment that could let us put a nice robust architecture together for the year.

Regards,

Carl

Phone: 202 544 0882

According to Doug Hughes: