Idea ...
bullet bullet
  • To: webmaster@fedex.com
  • Subject: Idea ...
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Tue, 11 Apr 1995 17:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
  • Cc: carl (Carl Malamud)
bullet bullet

Hi -

I've got an idea for a project that might interest you (it involves lots of overnight shipping). You've seen the World's Fair stuff? (http://town.hall.org/fair/)

We'd like to set up a "Fair Printing Office" which is really a model for what an on-line service bureau might look like. I've talked to the General Manager of Xerox's Docutech division and there is a chance that we can get them to loan one of their boxes for a year.

The drill would be simple: use the web+ftp+.... to let a user submit documents to be printed with job tickets and routing information. If you're not familiar with high-end Xerox printers, let me know and I'll let you know about the marvels. Suffice it to say that these things slice, dice, staple, bind, ....

With your new capabilities, there is no reason why the same job that puts the job together doesn't also slap appropriate fedex routing material on top of the stack and let the user know their tracking number as well.

While eventually, this system would allow users to submit arbitrary job, we'd start things going by having special fair-related "bundles" of information (e.g., a "How to Use Government Databases" manual or a "Learn More About Federal Express" bundle).

To pay for the service, we'd use various electronic money solutions. As you know, we already accept First Virtual and would be happy to provide a concrete proving ground for a variety of money solutions on the network.

Would you be interested in discussing the possibility of collaborating on this project as our "shipping partner." We could give you some good PR and perhaps you could help us out on some of the logistics involved in doing things like Peter Gabriel's WOMAD or President Clinton's participation in an Internet Town Hall.

Regards,

Carl Malamud