AT&T
bullet bullet
  • To: 0001050002@mcimail.com (Vinton G. Cerf)
  • Subject: AT&T
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Tue, 18 Apr 1995 14:53:16 -0400 (EDT)
  • Cc: carl (Carl Malamud)
bullet bullet

Vint -

I wanted to give you a heads up on the Internet Railroad. As you know, KDD officials have been meeting with the Ministry of Post and Telecommunications in Japan. On April 26, a high-level meeting will be held by MPT and MITI with participation from senior levels of Japanese industry (e.g., the presidents of companies like Nissan and Softbank) and academic (e.g., Dr. Ichi, the Provost of Keio University and former chair of the 5th Generation computing program).

In the U.S., we've made similar progress and have letters from President Clinton and Vice President Gore. The White House has been very helpful in formally putting the World Exposition within the context of the G-7 summit agreements.

It appears likely that KDD will contribute a DS3 link across the Pacific ocean on the TPC5 cable. Unfortunately, most of the capacity going towards Japan is held by AT&T and our Japanese colleagues have asked us to begin discussions with AT&T senior management about their possible participation.

As you know, we've tried very hard to spotlight the role of MCI in the World Exposition, but Bob Harcharik recognized that the Internet Railroad would tax the resources of any one company and that success on this project would require the participation of a broad industry coalition.

There is still time to have MCI be the first to commit resources for the World Exposition. We'll be doing a great deal of work from Europe and have committments from people like rock-and-roll star Peter Gabriel to provide Internet coverage of his WOMAD World Music festivals live from England.

Would it be appropriate for MCI to shift focus from the Pacific links to the Atlantic? As you know, the Internet population in Europe is substantial and a link here would have extremely high publicity impact and would make a very favorable impression at a government relations level as well for furthering NII goals.

Failing a commitment on the Internet Railroad, we're still interested in seeing a link between the Internet Multicasting Service and Internet MCI. As you know, that was one of the obligations in the MCI Letter of Agreement that we've been unable to reach closure on and we're quite anxious to get on the Internet MCI network and allow you to start selling our data to your customer base.

I'll be in the office all day Wednesday if you'd like to chat .... I'm at 202 544 0882.

Regards,

Carl