World Exposition Status Report
bullet bullet
  • To: 0001050002@mcimail.com (Vinton G. Cerf)
  • Subject: World Exposition Status Report
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Mon, 10 Apr 1995 14:53:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Cc: carl (Carl Malamud)
bullet bullet

Vint -

Here is a brief status report on the fair, per your request.

We made our announcement on 3/29 and had nice writeups in the New York Times, Washington Post, San Jose Mercury News, Bangkok Post, Wall Street Journal, and the New Scientist. A letter of support were received from President Clinton and Vice President Gore sent in a separate letter affirming the Administration's support both within the U.S. and as part of broader G-7 activities with our allies.

U.S. sponsors for the activity include NBC as our media partner, and Cisco, Sun, MCI, Newbridge, Quantum, SSDS, Softbank Expos, and RR Donnelley. Other sponsors are currently signing up. Participating institutions in the U.S. include Kennedy Center, National Press Club, Infomart, and strong interest from the Smithsonian Institution and the Lincoln Center. Organizing committee members include Dave Creagh (founder of All Things Considered), Congressman Ed Markey and publisher William Randolph Heast III.

In Japan, corporate supporters include the presidents of Nissan, Nifty Corporation, Softbank, and ASCII, and senior management participants from Sony, NTT Labs, Nihon Cisco, and many others. The WIDE Foundation is the technical secretariat and the Keio University, Tokyo Aquarium, and Huis Ten Bosch are all participating institutions.

Activities are also underway in the Netherlands, France, Singapore, Thailand, and United Kingdom. We're expecting a total of 100 countries to paritipate. International bodies that are supporting the effort include the European RIPE project and the Internet Society.

Regards,

Carl