Cheap Stunt for Las Vegas
bullet bullet
  • To: don.hoffman@eng.sun.com
  • Subject: Cheap Stunt for Las Vegas
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 1995 13:11:11 -0500 (EST)
  • Cc: carl (Carl Malamud)
bullet bullet

Don -

I'd like to enlist your assistance. Eric Schmidt, Mike Millikin, Marshall Rose, Vint Cerf and I are making the announcement for the 1996 Internet World's Fair on March 29, 10:30-12:00 at a special plenary session at Interop Las Vegas. Other people who have formally signed on and will have taped statements for us to play include William Randolph Hearst III and Congressman Ed Markey.

More details on the fair can be found at http://town.hall.org/fair. We have very strong organizing committees in Japan, U.S., and are close to nailing down groups in Netherlands, Thailand, and U.K.

For the session, we have four very large rear projection screens and a killer sound system. Marty Lucas is preparing some special music. We'll have a network drop and hope to bring in mbone broadcasts. I have 12 photocd's full of pictures of the world which we can project through an xv or imm window. I'm hoping to have an official poster and some other visual elements as well.

I'd like your help in getting a bit of "pizzazz" into our presentation. Two cheap stunts come to mind:

1) Take our videotape presentations, digitize on disk and play back Max Headroom style in a workstation window.

2) Bring cameras with us and have an nv window of the speaker projected onto the screen next to the more traditional imag screens.

We can also, if the network connection holds up, try and send the talk out to the mbone.

I've got two machines from the tradeshow pool, but it would be really nice if you could ship one in that is a known quantity (SunVideo installed, lots of disk, video already on disk, cameras working). We would use the other two machines for more traditional slide shows and stuff.

You will probably ship your equipment with the trade show pool. We will need it moved into the plenary room on Saturday, March 25. It goes on the network and configures on March 26. March 27 is rehersals and March 29 is the event. I can get you comped on the conference if you'd like (that goes for Michael as well).

Carl