Internet World's Fair
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Dear Carl:

Yes, it is time to get serious about preparation for the roll-out of the Internet World's Fair. This is a really big-time project, and a bit intimidating, actually. There's no way that any of us could do too good of a job preparing, and getting started off right is a challenge in itself, so I hope you will be understanding if I'm a bit neurotic about ensuring that my contributions are up to the world class quality that we need to achieve in every aspect of this.

First, here's a very rough sketch of the composition I have in mind:

Part 1: Fanfare. about 2 minutes, using an orchestral approach. patterned upon Copland's "Fanfare for the Common Man"

Part 2: Allegro. about 8 minutes. This will meld the orchestral sounds with some hi-tech aspects (somehow). There will be a clearly identifiable theme, and a pulsing beat, and some flashy runs, and that sort of thing. Very optimistic and positive, and hopefully inspiring.

Part 3. Ambient Vamp. 2-4 minutes. At the end the piece will devolve to a soft textured electronic-ambient vamp (still using our theme in some subtle fashion) This portion will allow the speaker (you, or someone introducing you, I suppose) to easily speak over the music, and will help focus the audience's attention. The mix will leave the portion of the sonic spectrum used to carry information from the voice open, and there won't be any drums going.

Its hard to be more specific then that, as these things tend to have a life of their own, but I do want to make something good enough that it will work on TV, in a stereo theatre, or on CD. I want it to have appeal to older audiences, and yet seem reasonably hip to the young class of net users. Its tempting to consider some overt "world" references, but this could be corny if not executed to perfection.

To do a first class job of this, I could easily devote all of the next thirty days of my time, and at least fifteen days of Corinne's time to this project. Even at that, we would probably need to go back and do an extensive re-mix before it was used in theatres at the fair, or on CD or CD-ROM. But I realize that is a pretty big invest- ment for a music production. We could do something at the quality level (and complexity level) of the themes we did for the new Internet Talk Radio show with a 10-14 day investment of time.

yours, Marty L.