Re: World Fair
bullet bullet
  • To: Carl Malamud <carl@radio.com>
  • Subject: Re: World Fair
  • From: k13@nikhef.nl (Rob Blokzijl)
  • Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 17:16:43 +0100
  • Address: Kruislaan 409, P.O. Box 41882, 1009 DB Amsterdam, the Netherlands
  • Cc: k13@nikhef.nl
  • Phone: +31 20 5925102, +31 20 6924218 (home)
  • Telefax: +31 20 5925155
  • Telex: 10262 hef nl
bullet bullet

Carl,

| You'll find a letter from Vice President Gore at

Thanks! Such a nice letter certainly helps!

| Let me know if you have any last minute additions to your | organizing committee.

At the moment we have the following good looking prospects:

- Minister of Economic Affairs they are responsible (partly) for the National Action Plan for the Electronic Highway. Also, the ministry runs a nice Web server.

- Minister of Trafic and Waterways also involved in the above mentioned natioenal plan. This ministry is the largest one in the Netherlands: they keep the water out. Also they are the telecom ministry.

- President of the Royal Dutch PTT this is the mother company of PTT Telecom, the Postal service, etc.

- Amsterdam Power Company they build the largest fiber plant in the Amsterdam region. Also, they are somehow involved in MCI and BT networking.

- Dutch Railroads they own a large (mainly fiber) national infrastructure. One of their customers is NLnet, the Dutch affiliate of EUnet.

- NLnet probably the largest ISP in the Netherlands; certainly by next year.

- Dutch Scientific a group of Dutch high tech companies. They range from small firms to real large ones.

All of these organisations will be approached next week; some prliminary footwork has been done already with promising prospects.

On our list of things to do:

- KLM Royal Dutch Airlines

- Mayor of Amsterdam

- Schiphol Amsterdam Airport

- Ministry of Agriculture (for the cow :-) )

- the Rijksmuseum

- the Concertgebouw Orchestra

- Philips

And of course the secreteriat will be functioning at

- NIKHEF National Institute for Nuclear Physics and High Energy Physics

Support for the project will be supplied by (at least) RIPE and the RIPE NCC

Mind you, we have no formal commitments yet (apart from NLnet) from any of the above organisations or persons. That will take a week or two more, I guess.

It would help if I can get to the Web pages of the fair, in order to collect a nice presentation folder (on paper, in color) as supporting act when contacting the potentials formally. Could you let me know the URLs of the pages describing the Fair? (I noticed that they have been hidden.)

Exciting times!

Greetings,

Rob