Resources in Place, 2/15
bullet bullet
  • To: kalil@arpa.mil
  • Subject: Resources in Place, 2/15
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Feb 1995 13:36:35 -0500 (EST)
bullet bullet

Tom -

Here is a current list of "assets" we have in place for the 1996 Internet World's Fair. The list is current as of 2/15.

Sites in the U.S.:

Kennedy Center will be part of the Global Schoolhouse Pavilion

Infomart in Texas will probably run a "Cyberspace Planetarium" for the Dallas, Texas community.

U.S. Congress will be available on our audio-on-demand server.

William Randoloph Hearst is confirmed as the Bay Area Pavilion chair. Ed Markey will probably chair Boston. Other U.S. organizers so far include Vinton Cerf (MCI), Eric Schmidt (Sun), Mike Millikin (Interop), Malamud (IMS), Marshall T. Rose (Dover Beach).

Corporate donations in place include resources from Disclosure (will provide a live EDGAR feed), Quantum (500+500 Gbytes of disk), MCI (T3 line across an ocean), Sun (very large server). Other resources have been received from Cisco, Time Inc., RR Donnelley, New York University, and MIT.

In Japan:

The organizing committee includes senior (president or Exec. VP) representatives from Softbank, ASCII, NiftyServe, NTT Labs, Sony, Tokyo Electric, Cisco Japan.

Keio Univesity is the secretariat for the project. We have support from Dean Aiso and the president of the university and the Fujisawa Campus will undertake major projects for the Fair. They have a $50 million MITI-financed multimedia lab which will be the headquarters.

We are trying to nail down participation from the Tokyo City World's Fair, the "World of Tommorrow" in Nagasaki. We are also very close to commitments to use 150 Mbps ATM links that NTT will provide and have 192 kbps satellite links from Japan Sat which will give us coverage over most of Southeast Asia.

Other Countries:

Korea is organizing a committee and Thailand, Austalia, Netherlands, UK, and a few other locations are coming on board. (We'll have from March-July in 1995 to form most of these committees).

RIPE, the European "IETF" is considering my proposal that they help us coordinate the technical volunteers program.

Buy-in From Engineering:

SSDS, a very high-tech engineering firm, has made a 2.0 FTE committment, including half-time for Chris Swanson, one of the world's leading system administrators.

Dr. Mike Schwartz of U Colorado (Chair of the Internet Research Task Force on Resource Discovery) starts a sabatical in July and has assembled a team of 4 people to work on ways to make better directories. His work is specifically dedicated to World's Fair applications.

I've started a "Multicasting Fellows" program which is brining people from MIT Media Lab and other locations to work on things like audio indexing of congressional data.

We have a technical volunteers program that has leading researchers each donating three days of their time to make government data more useful. These people include Steve Deering, Nathanial Borenstein, Marshall Rose, Don Hoffman, Geoff Baehr, and many others.

Roll-out of the Project:

I've got keynote time for *three* Interop shows: Tokyo, Atlanta, and Las Vegas. I'll also have keynotes with SANS (system adminstration) and other technical conferences, plus plenary time at INET 95. The project will get very wide visiblity and from the initial excitement we're going to get really good buyin from around the world.