Re: EDGAR...
bullet bullet
  • To: spector_david@jpmorgan.com (David Spector)
  • Subject: Re: EDGAR...
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Tue, 15 Nov 1994 14:20:27 -0500 (EST)
  • Cc: carl@radio.com
bullet bullet

Dave -

Good to speak to you this morning. As we discussed, many pieces have fallen into place for a coaltion to provide access on the Internet to the Patent, Trademark, and SEC databases. Here is the current status of committments from various groups:

1) New York University is firmly committed to the project and will make value-added on the databases a key priority. I'm meeting with Dean Glenn Urban of the MIT's Sloan School of Management on Thursday and am hopeful to add MIT as the second research center. If that doesn't work, I have very strong leads and interest at Cornell and Stanford.

2) Congressman Markey remains firmly committed to this project and to finding a semi-permanent solution to putting this data on the Internet. The issue has potential for broad bipartisan support as Speaker Gingrich has said that he feels that more raw data should get out to American people (instead of being filtered through the media elite. :).

3) Commissioner Lehman of the US Patent and Trademark Office has said he will speak in favor of this coalition and has tenatively committed that PTO will provide the data free of charge to the coalition.

4) Sun Microsytems has agreed to donate a server for the Patent and Trademark systems.

5) A broad coalition of public interest groups are ready to speak out in favor of this solution. I don't have committments, but I feel confident that people like Scott Armstrong and Ralph Nader will speak out in favor.

6) Tom Kalil of the National Economic Council in the White House and others in the White House are very supportive (and are on record in the New York Times as being supportive). Tom has tenatively offered the White House as the place where the announcement would be made. It would probably be Secretary Ron Brown with the possiblity of Vice President Gore. Note that this offer is tentative and depends on the final composition of the coalition, but Tom has delivered on these kinds of things and is well placed to make this happen.

If JP Morgan would care to join us, I believe we have enough pieces in place to make an announcement soon. While others will certainly join the coalition over time, the initial participants would be the ones invited to the White House ceremony.

I believe that the PR and image benefits of this project would be very valuable to JP Morgan. More importantly, I think there are more fundamental benefits. Having the database on-line at JP Morgan would be a valuable internal resource and would be a very good way to direct people on the information superhighway into the doors of your organization to see what you can do for them.

If JP Morgan would agree to be a home for the SEC portion of the databases for a three-year period, that would be a very valuable contribution. During 1995, we'd be the "primary" for the data and would work with you and your staff. In 1996, you would then be the initial for the data.

I look forward to the possiblity of JP Morgan being an integral part of this exciting project and wish you luck in your continued efforts to bring the Internet into your organization.

Carl Malamud Internet Multicasting Service