Tom Kalil suggested I drop you a note ...
bullet bullet
  • To: jsallet@doc.gov
  • Subject: Tom Kalil suggested I drop you a note ...
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Wed, 16 Nov 1994 11:13:09 -0500
  • Cc: carl
  • Org: Internet Multicasting Service
bullet bullet

Hi -

Not sure if you remember me. We did the "cyberstation" in Las Vegas which did the interview with Secretary Brown over the Internet.

We've been the Internet server for one of DOC's big databases (Patent) and are in the process of putting on-line Trademark. I met with Commissioner Lehman and he seems supportive of what we're doing.

My group, however, is not a real good long-term solution for serving large government databases. I'd really like you folks to handle your own data :) but that is unrealistic over the next couple of years for the big databases like Patent.

We're trying to set up a university/industry coalition to serve Patent, Trademark, and SEC databases up to the Internet. I'm talking to MIT and New York University about being the schools, and have initial industrial support from Sun and possibly JP Morgan.

It would *really* help us get this thing up and running if you folks would provide a bit of assistance. DOC has not hurt our efforts, but neither has anybody at Commerce done anything to help.

Are you available to talk with me briefly about some possible areas that Commerce could help us in? We're not looking for money, but a bit of moral support would sure go a long way. WIthout a bit of a push, I'm afraid this is going to all fall on the floor. I'd really hate for that to happen since we deal with several thousand people per day that rely on us to give them access to Patent data and we're serving over 10,000 people per day on the SEC database.

A coalition can be a big political win if you can help. We're calling this an "information highway safety net" and I believe we can get broad bipartisan support on the hill for this effort.

Regards,

Carl Malamud 202-628-2045