Re: Free Edgar -- end of an era?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

At 10:45 AM 8/14/95, Carl Malamud wrote:
>> I suggest that the problem is that over the last two years the folks
>> providing the Edgar data didn't have a plan to make it self sufficient
>It is time now for the stakeholders in the data to step up to
>the plate and take responsibility.
>Let me make clear that we will *NOT* be in this business on October
>1. This is not a ploy to get funding from the government or raise
>money from corporations. We're a research group and this research
>is done.

My suggestion of the problem above is still true, I believe, in that I think the right answer would have been to get the funding to get this started (which you've done admirably!!!), but to include making it self sufficient (but still free access) after the research period. Up until now, it was never clear to me that it was your intention to run this only for the 2 year research period and then to stop cold turkey (let the Feds do it themselves). If it had been clear, this would have altered many other decisions...

I can't imagine this Congress spending the money to have the Feds do it. It's too bad, because my non-profit "business" plan I pushed in DC three years ago called for making it self sufficient within two years --- which I still believe could have been / could still be done.

---
Glenn Tenney tenney@netcom.com Amateur radio: AA6ER Voice: (415) 574-3420 Fax: (415) 574-0546