Re: Free Edgar -- end of an era?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

> I suggest that the problem is that over the last two years the folks
> providing the Edgar data didn't have a plan to make it self sufficient
> following the grants that got it off the ground. Since I know that this
> was quite doable, I assume that the plan called solely for government
> funding --- or that this news about October is merely a part of the plan to
> get more funding.

Wrong ... we were supported by a combination of sources, of which the government money was in the minority. Companies like RR Donnelley, Sun, MCI, and others have suported the effort, as have a *bunch* of volunteers from the Internet community.

It is time now for the stakeholders in the data to step up to the plate and take responsibility. We believe that means, under the Paperwork Reduction Act, that the SEC and the Patent office should create web sites for distribution of their data.

Full details on our decision, including access statistics on the service (close to 5 million documents), our source code, the relevant legislation, and other material is all available at:

http://town.hall.org/govt/tuttle

Let me make clear that we will *NOT* be in this business on October 1. This is not a ploy to get funding from the government or raise money from corporations. We're a research group and this research is done.

Regards,

Carl Malamud