Re: Free Edgar -- end of an era?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

At 1:39 AM 8/14/95, The Arctos Group wrote:
>The Securities and Exchange Commission's Edgar system (short for
>Electronic Data Gathering and Retrieval), will no longer be carried
>on the Internet come October 1 when the government grant that sponsors
>the system expires.

I suggest that the problem is that over the last two years the folks providing the Edgar data didn't have a plan to make it self sufficient following the grants that got it off the ground. Since I know that this was quite doable, I assume that the plan called solely for government funding --- or that this news about October is merely a part of the plan to get more funding.

My congratulations to all who have been involved in the Edgar project to date, service that we all need and appreciate. And yes, I have for years felt that government data should be available on the Internet for free -- and have worked for that as well.

---
Glenn Tenney tenney@netcom.com Amateur radio: AA6ER Voice: (415) 574-3420 Fax: (415) 574-0546

Follow-Ups: bullet