Returned mail: User unknown
bullet bullet
  • To: carl
  • Subject: Returned mail: User unknown
  • From: Mail Delivery Subsystem <MAILER-DAEMON>
  • Date: Sat, 20 Jan 1996 08:39:28 -0500 (EST)
  • Auto-Submitted: auto-generated (failure)
bullet bullet

The original message was received at Sat, 20 Jan 1996 08:39:27 -0500 (EST) from carl@localhost

----- The following addresses have delivery notifications ----- not.available@town.hall.org (unrecoverable error)

----- Transcript of session follows ----- ... while talking to town.hall.org.:
>>> RCPT To:<not.available@town.hall.org> <<< 550 <not.available@town.hall.org>... User unknown 550 not.available@town.hall.org... User unknown

Warning
Could not process part with given Content-Type: message/delivery-status

-- BEGIN included message

Sigh. Thanks for that cheery thought. Anything can be bad, but how about the several million folks that got great delight about being able to let their children use the talk to santa program.

Perhaps you should be thinking in terms of your own responsibilities to your children and relatives. If you are letting an 8-year old use the computer, shouldn't you be very careful about what she sees? If you bring your Neice to sit on Santa's lap at the mall, don't you hang around and make sure that you can explain the fact that Santa smells of cigar smoke?

Please think about it before giving quick advice to people. Just because you are on a computer doesn't mean that there isn't a human being on the other end. Life is complex and there are no easy answers. Your first impulse to dash off a note might overlook a complicated world.

Sorry about your neice.

Carl Malamud

According to uid no body:

> not available (Mike ) sent the following
> comment about :
> To whom it may concern. You should be careful what you create. A child who still believes but is smart enough to access this site would be devestated by the shear fact when you interact all you do is produce a form with a name filled in. If it can't interact to any question one may ask than you should reconsider your interaction. Consider this question my niece asked this year. Two years ago her older sister who was eight at the time was killed by a tractor trailer accident. Her only wish from Santa this year was to talk to her sister for 30 minutes. Think about what you create is all I ask.
> Server protocol: HTTP/1.0
> Remote host: ajmd-ig1.acsi-inc.com
> Remote IP address: 206.181.155.66
> User Agent: Mozilla/1.22 (Windows; I; 16bit)

-- END included message