email
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Carl,

The Computer Unit of New Hampshire District Office of the U.S. Geological Survey would like to apologize for the "mail bomb" launched to your site. We have a student intern by the name of David Parker who received a message at his mailbox at the University of New Hampshire, asking people to send letters to your site. The message stated that SUN Microsystems would donate ten cents to needy children for each message received by the specific holiday related user ids.

David wrote a script at both the University and the Survey which would send messages to each of the ids every 30 seconds. Unfortunatley, David got carried away with the intent of the message and then forgot to kill his process after a reasonable amount of time.

We noticed something was wrong when our mail server came to a screaching halt and were forced to reboot. It was unfortunate that we didn't discover David's lack of good judgement sooner.

We want to assure you that David will receive disciplinary action both at the USGS and at the University of New Hampshire.

Again, our sincerest apologies for the lack of proper judgement by one of our student interns.

Eric S. Mahlowitz Site Administrator, Bow New Hampshire