Re: What is IMS trying to achieve?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995 14:06:46 -0500 (EST) Carl Malamud wrote:
> Sigh. Not trying to make ourselves out as "better than" in any
> way. I am really uncomfortable with the way the allocation method
> is working. Saying that the U.S. Senate is not acceptable use
> of the mbone (which is what started much of this off) is a really
> tough one for me, particularly since nothing else is happening
> this week.

Carl,

I think this has been a problem of communication and presentation. The way I looked at it, I saw 4 channels popping up which seemed to have a more or less permanent status. These channels violated all kinds of guidelines: a 'second' radio station despite the RFV restriction, and 3 more or less permanent other channels that just popped out of the blue without any agreement beforehand.

If you would have announced this on beforehand 'this is what I'll do; it takes xx days and yy is the purpose' then that is a totally different piece of cake as making a couple of seemingly permanent mbone traffic generators and you probably would not have gotten the flames you received now.

The claim that you would not have to agree to RFV because your transmission would be legal where RFV isn't legal makes as much sense as trying to defend yourself to a police officer after ignoring a red traffic light by saying that because your car is more environmentally-friendly than others, traffic-lights would not apply to you..

It is the precent that hurts. After all if your radio-stations do not need to comply to the guidelines,, what does prevent me from hooking up the local radio station on the mbone? (You might even learn a Dutch word or two ;-). On the other hand, it would use a definite amount of the very limited resources the mbone still has. (The Eastern-European site that asked me to seed them only has 256kb pipes...)

Please realize what the capacity of the mbone really is. One of the reasons that your efforts at the last IETF were unusable here was because of the mbone overload at that time.

Thank you for throttling back for now. It was a wise thing to do given the situation at hand.

NOT ALL THE WORLD IS A T-3 LINK! NOT ALL THE WORLD IS A T-3 LINK!

Keep up the good work!

Geert Jan