Re: What is IMS trying to achieve?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Carl,

I only read the Mbone list occasionnally, usually with a long delay. I spotted the debate on US_senate vs. NASA broadcast, which is now undecided - or so it seems.

It is one of our research topics. My personal opinion is that bandwidth should be allocated "fairly", i.e. divided equally amongst all the groups in competition. Indeed, this only works if you have an adaptive application such as IVS, which incorporates a feed back loop to increase compression when congestion is detected. Hopefully, this will soon become common practice.

In the short term, this is a pure mess. The MBONE is ill engineered and ill managed. Some sites don't even implement priuning, thus effectively forcing all large TTL broadcast to flood the entire net. Most applications are not adaptive. Yeaach.

I also believe that the "fair sharing" approach is the only way to maintain the spirit of the net.

For what it's worth...

Best wishes for 1995, to you and your team.

Christian Huitema