Re: What is IMS trying to achieve?
bullet bullet bullet bullet

On Tue, 10 Jan 1995 10:54:54 -0500 (EST) Carl Malamud wrote:
> > Also the IMS:RT-FM channel seems to fly in the face of
> > the agreed policy of restricting "music radio" channels to Radio Free
> > Vat.
> Sorry, I can't live with a policy of allowing copyright violations.
> We have to grow up and get beyond that stage.

Carl, I disagree strongly with you here. The issue of RFV isn't one of copyright violations if the transmitted music, but one of only allowing *one* concurrent channel of music transmission on the mbone at a given time. This will save bandwith for other applications of the mbone than just music/radio.

The bandwith RT-FM uses isn't any different from the bandwith RFV uses. The content of these transmissions, illegal or not, is totally irrelevant to the issue of trying to control the amount of resources music broadcasting will use on the precious amount of bandwith the mbone has available.

The fact that you play music legally does IMHO not make you a 'better' user of the Mbone that can waive established guidelines on utilisation of a common resource. I like the effort you put in doing the things you do, but presenting yourself as being 'better' than other mbone users is a bad move that will destroy a lot of goodwill. Let the mbone users decide on that. 'taking' bandwith will lead to a lot of silly situations.

Geert Jan