Geek of the Week
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Dennis and Geoff -

I'm working on a venture that might interest you folks. You might have followed the recent spread of video and audio on the Internet. Using multicast technology, a Multicast Backbone (MBONE) has been permenantly established that allows the effi- cient dissemination of large data streams throughout the world.

At a recent IETF, a two-channel IETF TV program was presented, sending audio and video of IETF plenaries, technical presenta- tions, and working groups. At times, over 200 sites were plugged in. Because this is the Internet, you can field questions from remote participants over the MBONE.

This technology is getting fairly stable and has good operational support in places like Alternet, PSInet, and even ANSnet. I'd like to take advantage of this to start the first regularly scheduled broadcasts on the Internet.

To start, I'd like to do a simple "radio" show using audio streams. This weekly scheduled broadcast from Internet Talk Ra- dio would be "The Geek of the Week," featuring an interview with a prominent member of the community. Likely initial candidates would be Dave Clark, Geoff Goodfellow, Marshall Rose, Paul Mocka- petris, Jon Postel, and maybe even people like Bill Joy or John Gage.

I'm looking for a sponsor for "The Geek of the Week" and am ap- proaching Sun Microsystems first. Would you have any interest in investigating another marketing channel? For the cost of a cou- ple advertisements in Communications Week, you get to pioneer a new medium.

In addition to any exposure you get through listeners, you can be confident that I will write about my experiences in either a book or articles. I would make a point of trying to interest the trade press in stories. I would also furnish Sun with enough ma- terial to let your PR people produce press releases or glossy brochures. I'd be happy to talk about what I did at Sun User Group meetings.

I could have broadcasts up and running by February. I would be looking for a sponsor for the initial year.

Sincerely yours,

Carl "Walter Cronkite" Malamud