Re: Railroad expansion to Korea
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Mr. Youn -

Very glad you are on the list. Happy New Year to you as well!

We will provide and install the router for your railroad links, courtesy of Bay Networks. You will need to send me a shipping address well in advance so that we can get the router over there for you.

When you say an E1 straight to the United States, is it your intention to bring the line up to Washington, D.C. where we have the main Railroad routers? That would give Korea a direct link into MAE-East, but would also be fairly expensive as you will need to pay somebody to get your traffic across the U.S.

The alternative is to go straight into Japan with an E1 line, where you would terminate in our router at KDD's point of presence.

The last issue that you will need to deal with is connecting the Korea railroad router into your local infrastructure. At a minimum, you'll want a connection someplace into the Korean university networks. Even better would be locating on some form of Korea Internet Exchange where the commercial and non-commercial networks can access.

Note that the commercial traffic (and even much of the non-commercial traffic) will not flow over the E1 international line, but you still want them to have access to the Central Park servers, multicast streams, and other data coming in.

Let me know when you are ready for the router and we will send it over.

Regards,

Carl Malamud

According to Youn: