We're Open
bullet bullet bullet bullet

The web site is up and running at http://park.org/

Park.org is currently a single site. We have three servers ready to go on-line in the next cycle which starts January 3 and ends January 8. A few other machines are getting ready to go and might make this next cycle. Please note that we will not add a Central Park server into the DNS until we feel that this machine has reached production status: doing this overnight is not appropriate and we will force machines that come in at the last minute into the next deployment cycle.

Taiwan, Netherlands, and Korea all have preliminary pavilion pages which we link out to. Next week, we'll start gobbling that data up and bringing it into the Central Park hierarchy.

Japan has nothing ready and has not even logged into the ftp account that was provided for them to push their data. I've linked the Japan page out to the current Japanese-only version that they have at WIDE. I realize that a $10 million dollar committee takes longer to do things. Let's hope that the dramatically higher budgets of Japan result in web pages instead of meeting minutes.

Please note that I will not allow the DS3 line to go on-line unless I see substantial progress and a dramatic increase in communications from the Japanese committees. There are many U.S. corporations that are helping sponsor the Japan effort and I don't want to see their resources go the way of the Tokyo World's Fair that was cancelled. I have a financial obligation to MCI to make sure that the line is used properly and that means that there must be a real Japan Expo presence *visible to the rest of the world* before I will allow our half-circuit to route traffic.

Progress is going very well on the Internet Railroad. The DS3 lines in the D.C. area area almost configured and Marten Tepstra has been working hard on router configurations. The line to Europe is in very good shape. I am continuing to pursue the White House to have President Clinton attend the ribbon-cutting ceremony. Progress is very good, but we have a slight problem of the government being officially closed.

Initial press coverage is quite good. In addition to John Markoff's article, I was a guest on Talk of the Nation/Science Friday and on the WCBS drive-time talk show. Luther Brown (luther@radio.com) is coordinating press coverage for the U.S. effort and more generally for the world press.

It has been a very long, very hard year, but we have a real world's fair that we can all be proud of. Let's make this next year one of heavy construction and turn this start into a great finish.

Regards,

Carl Malamud