World's Fair
bullet bullet
  • To: stjohns@arpa.mil
  • Subject: World's Fair
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Fri, 7 Oct 1994 09:15:29 -0400
  • Org: Internet Multicasting Service
bullet bullet

Mike -

Despite getting beaten up at the NIIT meeting, I've pressed ahead with the World's Fair and I think I've reached critical mass. I've been able to gather the following resources so far:

1) Sun is committed and Eric Schmidt has agreed to serve on my board.

2) Ziff-Davis will commit all of the 1996 shows (Interop and Digital World) in all countries to the theme of "Internet World's Fair" and Mike Milliken (CTO) has agreed to serve on my board.

3) MCI has committed to 1995 sponsorship of my group and has agreed they will provide a T3 line across an ocean (exact committment hedged with the term "appropriate share of the facilities", but it is directly from the top.

4) The ATM Forum and the Cross Industry Working Group have agreed to presentations in November and December.

5) Mike Roberts from Educom will work to enlist the universities in planning their own 1996 Internet World's Fair activities.

I'd like to use your Enterprise Room octmods as the visual symbol for the fair, putting the units into places like the center of the Interop show floors as part of the NOC and also a permanent installation someplace in Washington for the "Cyberspace Planetarium."

I realize that any federal money would have to be coordinated through the White House, but I was wondering if it might be appropriate to meet with you and Steve Squires about a possible ARPA role in this project.

The first World's Fair paper is available on-line from me if you'd like a copy.

Carl