First Status Report
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Thank you for your subscription to the Internet EDGAR Project list. The project is proceeding on schedule for an early 1994 release. The main server has been received at our facilities and is being configured. Our disk and tape drives have been ordered and are expected within the next two days. A sample tape from Mead Data Central has been received and successfully loaded on our server.

Our goal in this project is to allow a wide variety of access mechanisms. This will include electronic mail, anonymous FTP, gopher, and World Wide Web (Mosaic). We are investigating the issue of keyword searches via WAIS and of multicasting the data in real time.

The data format itself will be fairly crude during the initial months as we conduct research into semi-automatic methods for adding summary data, indices, and other navigational aids into the database. The database consists of a Level 1 Tape Feed from the EDGAR Dissemination Service, which means that our database will contain all electronically filed SEC reports that are received by the SEC after the first of the year. Note that historical data will *not* be available from us.

Our next status report will be sent in the week of January 15. We hope to be able to report back to you at that time that the server is operational and that we have a prototype data structure in place. We will also announce in that mailing the date on which we expect to begin allowing public access to the database.

Regards,

Carl Malamud Internet Multicasting Service