Use of EDGAR filings
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Carl, Walter said he talked to you and you had asked for a description of what we are doing with the filings, so here it is:

The Edgar data from IMS serves both long-term and short-term purposes within Price Waterhouse. Long term, the Technology Centre supports a research project in the area of user interfaces for adaptive information retrieval and the Edgar data we are storing currently serves as the test bed for this research. I reported on this work and its objectives at the Digital Libraries workshop earlier this year. An example of the use of this data would be to identify 8-k filings which indicate a change of auditor, another would be to identify 10-K statements disclosing in their footnotes usage of a particular FASB or other accounting treatment. Because the filings are being accumulated within the Centre for this test bed, in the short term, we also make the filings available to all Price Waterhouse staff by maintaining a Lotus Notes database containing "pointers" to the filings themselves. As of October 94 these are pointers to the IMS server but by the end of December 1994 we expect the majority of these to point to the filings on our own server.