Re: Congressional hearing via the Internet on 7/26
bullet bullet
  • To: paul@cni.org
  • Subject: Re: Congressional hearing via the Internet on 7/26
  • From: carl (Carl Malamud)
  • Date: Sun, 30 May 93 14:35:06 EDT
  • Cc: joan@a.cni.org, craig@a.cni.org, carl
  • Org: Internet Multicasting Service
bullet bullet

Paul -

First, let me say that I'd like to discuss these items with you. Please don't send this out to the CNI membership at this time ... this may be appropriate later for one or more of your lists, but I'd like to try and focus in on some objectives first. What I'd like to do after we've discussed the matter is to mobilize some of the information providers and keepers, a group which happens to coincide with your membership.

My goal in the hearings is to portray the Internet as a fundamental infrastructure, capable of supporting a wide variety of ways of interacting. We'll have the usual hi-tech things. ARPA has loaned us DARTNET and we'll run video and audio out to the remotely-located witnesses. Xerox PARC will be operating the gateway from DARTNET out to the MBONE.

We also want to support the people sitting at home with a dumb PC and a 2400 baud modem. We're going to work with C-SPAN and other "real-time" broadcasters to give them good feeds not only from their own cameras but from the video coming in over the computer network. Then, we'll provide e-mail addresses for people to write in.

There are other things that I have in mind, some of which could involve some people from the CNI membership. We'll be constructing a special WAIS database for the event that will include, at a minimum, the testimony of the witnesses. We'd also like to get other information added as appropriate.

There are several other tools that might be quite useful in the hearings. A custom-built gopher with a few tiers of menus specifically for the hearings will be quite helpful, as would MOSAIC and WWW home pages.

As you can see, we're trying to mobilize on two fronts: tools for finding data and the data itself. It seems that some of the CNI members might want to pitch in and work in some of these two areas as part of the core team doing the hearings. We're getting some real top-notch people putting in the supporting network and I'd like to get similar individuals identified higher up the stack.

Above all, what I want to do is quietly recruit a few *very* good people instead of going for allout mobilization at first. After we have the core team in place, there will be some activities in July to try and get the Internet mobilized .... we want to show these congressmen more letters than they've ever seen in their life. And you know how congressmen like letters ...

Interested?

Carl