The word Beeneul means "scales," as in fish scales. The kimchi is named such
because the slits made in the chunk of radish look like the scales on a fish. Cucumbers can
also be made together with the radish kimchi. Buy cucumbers when they are best and pickle
with salt. Steep out the salty taste by soaking in water when before making the kimchi.
Materials(makes for four) and Precooking
|| choose smooth, medium-sized radishes and wash clean. Cut into halves and make many slits at slanted angles on the round sides.
|| soak the radish and cabbage leaves together in salted water. Take out and rinse. Drain.
|| get them when they are in season. Pickle in salted water.
|| clean and wash. Cut into 3cm (1 1/5 inch) pieces.
dropwort, leek, young scallion
|| clean and wash. Cut into 3cm pieces.
|| gather up the solid part and mince.
garlic and ginger
|| clean and wash. Mince.
- Some of the materials and most of the wares actually needed are not included in the
materials list, assuming they are readily available in any home.
- Metric values are approximated into pounds and inches, as they are not absolutes.
- Wrap the pickled cucumbers with a piece of cloth. Weight with a heavy stone to squeeze
out water. Make many slits as you have made with the radishes.
- Seasoning; Mix strip-sliced radish well with ground red chili, shrimp juice, minced garlic
and ginger, dropwort, scallion and leaf mustard.
- Stuff the seasoning in the slits. Wrap each piece with a leaf of cabbage and pile in a pot.
[ Prev |