Re: URGENT: Please STOP Mailbombs (fwd)
bullet bullet bullet bullet

On Tue, 27 Dec 1994, Carl Malamud wrote:

> Sigh ... you folks have been really quick to get into the
> regulations ... could you *PLEASE TAKE AFFIRMATIVE ACTION
> TO SEE THAT THE SOURCE OF THE TRAFFIC HAS STOPPED!*

It was being done as soon as we received your first message. The system is being taken off line by the systems administrator.

> We don't care about your admin actions ... we just want
> to get back to doing our work. Please indicate positive,
> affirmative steps you have taken to cooperate with us
> and stop the flow of traffic.

Thats fine, however, we do. If we determine that what has happened here is actionable, we will forward this to the proper authority. *This* is why I needed more information. The initial initial interviews indicate that this was not intentional - I want to make sure that this is the case. If someone here had received a mailbomb, I would want a head on a platter. Because of my empathy with your situation, I am taking this very seriously. If Mr. Tran is guilty of any malicious acts, in this case, I will see to it that appropriate actions are taken.

If the tone of any of my messages has mislead you as to my intent, I apologize. Clearly, I intend to investigate this as far as possible.

I recognize the fact that e-mail does not allow for the same level of communication as direct one-on-one (or even voice only), so it is easy to miss the true meaning of any statement.

> We have *many* legitimate users from the NASA community
> that use our Patent database and other archives. Our only
> recourse if you folks are not helping is to filter out
> all NASA traffic. We really don't want to do that since
> our internal policies are that if we put a block on a site,
> it stays in place for 90 days.

I truly doubt that you want to start a pissing contest. It will accomplish nothing and create a battle over an issue where we are on the same side.

Sincerely,

Randall W. Robinson Manager, Information Services NASA Ames Research Center