White kimchi is popular in the colder regions including the Pyongan Province. Seasoning is
made by mixing strips of radish, dropwort, pine nuts, pear, chestnut, strips of red chili,
mushroom, garlic and ginger. Salted water is added for liquid. It is not hot because ground
red chili is not used. The the northern regions they would add cooked rice or noodles in the
kimchi to make a superb late-night snack. Suitable for old people and children.
Materials(makes for four) and Precooking
|| remove the outer leaves and quarter or part into halves, depending upon the size of each head. Soak the cabbage in salted water and let sit for 5 or 6 hours. Shift once during the time. Take out and drain. Cut off the root ends.
|| clean and wash. Slice into 4cm (1 1/2 inch) strips.
dropwort, young scallion, leek
|| clean and wash. Cut into 4cm (1 1/2 inch) pieces.
|| clean and wash. Slice at slanted angles.
pear, chestnut, jujube
|| peel pear and chestnut. remove seeds from jujube. Slice into fine strips.
|| soak in water and drain. Slice into fine strips.
garlic and ginger
|| clean and wash. Mince.
strip-sliced red chili
|| Cut into 3cm (1 1/5 inch) pieces.
- Some of the materials and most of the wares actually needed are not included in the
materials list, assuming they are readily available in any home.
- Metric values are approximated into pounds and inches, as they are not absolutes.
- Seasoning; Add thin strips of red chili to the mixture of Korean pear, chestnut and jujube
so that the mixture has a tinge of red. Add the rest of the flavorings including dropwort,
scallion, leaf mustard, rock mushroom, lentimus mushroom, garlic, ginger and pine nuts. Mix
well. Flavor with sugar and salt.
- Spread the seasoning between leaves and fold. Wrap each fold with its own outer leaf so
that the stuffing would not be pressed out. Pile neatly in a pot.
- Grate a pear and strain to gather the juice. Mix the juice with 1/2 cup of salt and 10 cups
of water to make sauce. pour the sauce in the pot.
- It takes 2 weeks to ferment. Cut into appropriate size and serve.
[ Prev |