Ting-wu version of the Lan-t'ing hsu rubbing
Sung dynasty (A.D. 960 1279)
Rubbing. Semi-cursive script. Handscroll. 27.0 x 66.7 cm
The Lan-t'ing hsu was written by the great Eastern Chin (A.D. 317-420) calligrapher Wang Hsi-chih as the preface to a collection of poems composed by a group of friends gathered at the Orchid Pavilion (Lan-t'ing) on the third day of the third month, A.D. 354. Emperor T'ai-tsung of the T'ang dynasty was a great admirer of Wang Hsi-chih's calligraphy and, having obtained the original Lan-t'ing scroll, had it engraved on stone in the Imperial Academy. During the Five Dynasties period (A.D. 907 960) the present stele was taken by the Khitan to Ting-chou in Hopei. Ting-chou's name was changed to Ting-wu during the Sung, and it is form this that the stele derives its name, and a rubbing therefrom bears Ting-as its prefix.
Click here for a larger picture
(image size between 100k - 300K)
and use the [BACK] Function key back to this page