- Laos is an underdeveloped, poor country with a communist government. Tourist services and facilities are relatively undeveloped.
- People's Supreme Assembly, Presidency of the Republic, Council of Ministers.
FLAG: A red band at the top and bottom with a large blue band between on which is centered a large white circle.
- 4.14 million (1990).
- Density: 16 inhabitants/sq. km.
- Ethnicgroups: Lao48%, TribalThai 14%, Sino-Tibetan including the H'mong and Yao 13%, Mon-Kmer 25%, Vietanamese and Chinese 1%
- Religion: Buddhism.
- French, English, German, Russian and others.
- Area: 236,800 sq. kms. (91.430 sq. miles).
- Vientiane (Population 464,000)
- Savannakhet, Saravan, Pakse, Luang Prabang, Xieng Khouang, Borikhamxay, Sam Neua, Houai Xay, Namtha, Sayaboury, Oudomxay, Thakek, Sekong, Attopeu, Phongsaly, Phonhong.
- Champassak, Phonsavan, Mahaxay, Paksan, Vangvieng, Viengxay.
- The GDP is US$ 874 million. The per capita income isUS$ 211 (1990).
- Tin, timber, hydroelectric power, iron, coal, gold, copper, precious stones, potassium, phosphorite, gypsum, salt, petroleum.
- Rice, corn, tobacco, coffee, cotton, beans, cardamon, benzoin, stick lac, fruit.
- Tin, gypsum, mining, lumber, textiles, beverages, bricks, tiles, pottery, cigarettes, cement.
- carvings, silk, cotton, silverware, pottery, jewellery, traditional musical instruments, wicker work and otherartworks.
- Exports: chiefly hydroelectric power and timber, coffee, tin, gypsum, cardamon, benzoin, rattan, plywood, garments.
- Markets: Thailand, Vietnam,Japan, Europe, Canada.
- Imports: Foodstuffs, machinery, fuel, manufactured goods.
- Majorsuppliers: Thailand,Japan, China, Singapore.