naming confusion
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Greetings, Gentlemen.

I applaud your efforts in breaking new Cyberground, and wish you the best of luck.

But...

PLEASE, PLEASE change your name. "InterNet Multicasting Service" is a major misnomer, since it uses the technical term "multicast" inappropriately. There is already a great deal of confusion surrounding multicasting, since different sites are using different addressing conventions based on a mistake made in an old version of UNIX.

The multicast confusion makes it difficult for new sites to come on to the net; there is so much information one has to absorb already! The one solid fact in the mess is the actual meaning of "multicast"; this is (or was, until y'all came along) rigidly defined.

Take pity on us poor techno-geeks; we are running as hard as we can just trying to keep up. Please discontinue your inaccurate use of the term "multicast". It might not bother old timers, but will confuse the hell out of newbies.

Charlie Brooks The Academy of Natural Sciences Philadelphia, PA 19103 CHARLIE@SAY.ACNATSCI.ORG