White House NAFTA Jobs Day
bullet bullet
  • To: announce@radio.com
  • Subject: White House NAFTA Jobs Day
  • From: carl@radio.com
  • Date: Thu, 21 Oct 93 11:13:44 -0400
  • Channel: Internet Town Hall
  • Org: Internet Multicasting Service
bullet bullet

We're pleased to announce that the White House demonstration we were planning, though slightly changed in execution from our original goals, made a form of technical history. Though our project proposal was approved for Internet connectivity, some slight logistical misunderstandings resulted in a decision by White House staff that no power would be available to any of the vendors, making operation of our computers a real challenge.

We went ahead and made sure that our configuration would work both with and without power in our facilities and at other remote sites. The system worked beautifully but, due to the no-power requirement, during our actual installation we reverted to Plan B and installed the world's first Powerless LAN (pLAN).

We're pleased to report that this pLAN worked and implementation was flawless. The boxes sat on the table and were able to do everything you would expect out of a computer with the power switched off. At this level of functionality, we successfully demonstrated interoperability between machines from Sun Microsystems, Persoft, Intel, Hewlett Packard, and many other leading firms in the computer and communications industries.

We offered to print out the mail both pro and con that we received or to deliver a floppy disk, but were unable to implement this action item. Again, staff had some serious logistical issues to worry about and the White House is a very busy place these days, so they requested that we hold onto the mail received.

Thanks to all of you who wrote in and we hope to be able to continue this trend of technical innovation with our corporate and government partners.

Carl Malamud Internet Multicasting Service

For our new FAQ on Internet Talk Radio, send mail to info@radio.com.