UN 50th Anniversary
bullet bullet
  • To: rem-conf@es.net
  • Subject: UN 50th Anniversary
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl>
  • Date: Wed, 21 Jun 1995 09:08:08 -0400 (EDT)
bullet bullet

Hi -

On Monday, June 26, we'll be running a multicast out of the San Francisco Opera House where U.S. President Clinton and UN Secretary-General Boutros Ghali will be presiding over a ceremony marking the 50th Anniversary of the signing of the United Nations Charter.

We realize that this coincides with a shuttle launch and will keep a single audio and video stream with constrained bandwidth. The ceremony is schedule to start at 10AM Pacific Time on Monday June 26. We'll be multicasting over the IMS: Internet Town Hall channels, or you may access the sessions via the web at:

http://town.hall.org/places/un

The usual caveats against these one-shot projects apply. In particular, our computers will be set up underneath the stage and we're hopeful that the various presidential, city, and UN security details will feel that our computers mesh properly with their security guidelines.

This multicast is being produced at the request of the United Nations, who sent a note to Steve Deering expressing their belief that the UN and the Internet shared common goals of world peace through better communications. ;-) Support for this project is being furnished by BBN Planet (http://www.bbnplanet.com), SSDS (http://www.ssds.com), and Sun (http://www.sun.com).

Carl Malamud Internet Multicasting Service