Internet 1996 World Exposition
bullet bullet
  • To: rem-conf@es.net
  • Subject: Internet 1996 World Exposition
  • From: Carl Malamud <carl@radio.com>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 12:09:54 -0500 (EST)
bullet bullet

There will be an announcement of the Internet 1996 World Exposition on Wednesday, March 29, 10:30-12:00 Pacific Standard Time (GMT -8). The announcement will be part of a special session in Las Vegas at Networld+Internet 95.

Participants in the session include Dr. Vint Cerf from MCI, Congressman Ed Markey, Former U.S. Senator Gaylord Nelson, Dr. Eric Schmidt from Sun, Mike Millikin from Softbank Expos, Dr. Marshall T. Rose, William Randolph Hearst III, William Miller from Quantum, Dr. Steve Wolff from Cisco, Dave Creagh from Monitor Radio, Ron Strich from SSDS, James Mackie from Newbridge, and Carl Malamud from IMS. Participating by ASCII messaging technology will be President Clinton, Vice President Gore, and Speaker Newt Gingrich.

There will also be web pages available for the event at:

http://town.hall.org/fair

Unfortunately, we're a bit underpowered on CPU horsepower, so the video to the net will consist of only one of our video streams. You'll see the "Imag" camera on the main speakers and those speakers on tape. You won't see the images off of disk that will be going up on the four screens. We considered running an IMM session, but we're talking one 512x768 image every 3 seconds for each feed and will have up to four different screens doing that. Much as we like keeping those spare bits busy, this seemed a bit much.

We're rolling tape on all this and will edit it all down into a half-hour video program and make it available at a later date. NBC has signed on as the media partner for the World Exposition, so video editing has suddenly become significantly practical for us.

Carl Malamud Internet Multicasting Service