ReliefNet: Charities online
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Hi Carl!

Harry Saal at Smart Valley gave me your address, and I believe he may have given you mine. I am the co-director of a project called "ReliefNet" which helps promote charities online. You may have seen the articles about us in Newsweek, WEBster, Chronicle of Philanthropy, and others.

This is what we do: we have a WWW, gopher site, mailbot, and "pledge door", which enable us to provide info about leading charities and let surfers make online pledges to them. Our WWW site provides info about all sorts of relief issues and the organizations/sites that serve them. We also maintain the "ReliefRock" benefit concert which is the first online benefit concert for charity---users access ReliefRock, download music, read about relief efforts, and make a pledge. IUMA, Warner Bros., and Cyberspace Promotions have all contributed their music to this project.

ReliefNet has incorporated as a non-profit registered in MD and is presently in the process of getting its 501 (c) (3) approval. We presently host around a dozen major relief agencies including:

American Red Cross Oxfam America YMCA Doctors Without Borders CARE

and many others!

All of the organizations which fundraise in ReliefNet have given us their express written permission to offer this service on their behalf. ReliefNet does not charge relief agencies anything to be involved. 100% of pledges go to the organizations, we take no percentage. ReliefNet is designed to be a "charity co-op" where organizations can work together and build PR synergy while keeping costs low and attaining higher visibility on the Net.

I heard about your charitable initiative through Harry Saal; it sounds great, especially since you seem to be managing to get corporate America involved. This is where I wonder if we could collaborate. I have a few ideas which I will outline below briefly:

(1) ReliefNet desperately needs corporate sponsors to help pay for the cost of serving and maintaining its sites. Presently ReliefNet is being supported solely through our own personal finances under the auspices of our start-up, EarthWeb, Ltd., as a pro bono project. Our vision is that we can find a group of corporate sponsors who will be the angels of the project (the costs are low, but more than we can sustain personally). Corporate sponsors could give some money to ReliefNet (and maybe some to the ReliefNet orgs as well), in exchange for being linked in an "Angels page". Since ReliefNet itself is a non-profit, I suppose we would be eligible for support in your system?

(2) Would your project like to be featured in ReliefNet? Let's talk about it.

(3) Finally, regardless of other ways of collaborating etc., we do help promote charities online, and so I hope your charity project will consider them as candidates for donations.

*** Check out our sites if you have time; our URL is in my .sig below. Well, I know you must get tons of email, so I'll sign off for now. Nice meeting you!

Sincerely,

N0vA Spivack

______________________________________________________________________________ Nova Spivack : * EarthWeb, Ltd.: ReliefNet, ReliefRock --> nova@max.tiac.net : http://www.earthweb.com:2800/ : : * Individual, Inc.: Editorial Dept., Reviewer : of Multimedia & Interactive News tel: (617) 625-6440 : fax: (617) 625-8212 : * The Networking Institute: TeamNet design Somerville, MA, USA : ______________________________________________________________________________