Re: Routing Question-- Maybe a hack
bullet bullet bullet bullet

the most likely cause of this would be a failure of one of the "like-addressed" machines, right? i'll wager that the outcome of a second machine wedging itself into a tcp connection (which would in most cases time out anyway) is no worse than what happens when the first machine disappears: the connection is reset. at least at this point, the user can hit the "reload" button or take some other action. because the second "like-addressed" machine is now available albeit at a higher metric.

so if your igp is flapping the routes/metrics to one or more of the "like-addressed" machines, things break. but they break only for those hosts in close proximity to the flapping route or changing metric.

Jeff Young young@mci.net