Re: details
bullet bullet bullet bullet

> OK that is good. That means we would only need one extra AS for the DC
> area. Carl, is UUnet going to provide us with backup to MAE-EAST and
> beyond if our new T3 would break? This sort of defines whether we have
> to split WTN/MAE-EAST and NPB/PennAve into two seperate ASes. If they
> do, we need a different (new) AS for WTN/MAE-EAST. If they do not, we
> can use 3920 for WTN/MAE-EAST as well.

MFS said they'd keep the 10 mbps in place. I certainly want to start with Alternet as my backup. We can do MCI a little later on if you feel they are more appropriate. I'll leave that up to you.

> The main thing why we would have to split into more ASes (just like
> why Tokyo and WTN should be in different ASes) is that whenever our
> links break, we have to travel though another AS to get to the other
> side. You cannot transit from one end of an AS to the other end of the
> same AS through some other AS. BGP simply cannot do this....

Don't hestiate to use more AS numbers if you want .... I'd keep the configuration as flexible as possible, especially since we don't know the final configuration of this network yet.

> PS Also, since you have a transit agreement with UUnet now, getting
> another transit agreement with MCI makes things very complicated and
> can cause sub-optimal routing. We'll probably have to figure this out
> in January and see if it is really all that bad.

Agreed ... we start with UUnet.

Carl