Re: Enhancement to town.hall.org
bullet bullet
  • To: "Carl Malamud [IMS]" <carl@media.org>
  • Subject: Re: Enhancement to town.hall.org
  • From: Yoichi Shinoda <shinoda@jaist.ac.jp>
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jul 1996 22:52:10 JST
  • Cc: shinoda@jaist.ac.jp (Yoichi Shinoda)
bullet bullet

Carl,

There are several things happening as far as CP servers are concerned.

1. Wide area server dispatching

1.a I think you have heard about TCP router technology from IBM, that transparently dispatches tcp connection an address/port pair to multiple machines (there are couples of ways of doing this, and IBM's way is one of them), which they will be using in the Olympic games to distribute loads within their SP/2 cluster system. We are trying to deploy this technology in the wide area network.

1.b At the same time, with help from cisco Japan, we are looking at their new technology of wide area server dispatching that uses routing information obtained from network layer (router) using a new protocol, so that the best server in terms of network connectivity parameters (hops, bandwidth, distance) could be selected and dispatched.

2. Large web cache

Ever since I started to get involved in this project, I have this personal impression that the Internet's future will depend largely on technologies that overcome our ultimate physical limitation, the speed of the light. In this sense, the current url system could be considered very harmful, because it explicitly points to a single object in the entire Internet, forcing data clients to access the object with rtt's proportional to distance to the object, which hearts things running on top of tcp. Carefully designed cache system can overcome this limitation.

(a) I'm now trying to come up with a large web hierarchy using CP servers. Osamu told me that Kim is coordinating the world www cache(?), so I'm interested with talking to her.

(b) I've dispatched a research project to one of my student. This is a 'flying cache', that pre-feeds cache contents while it tries to confirm coherency of the contents. This system will certainly leads to bandwidth waste, but by placing it close enough to clients, where bandwidth is more than plentiful, I believe that we can ignore the waste.

--- shinoda