Re: scheduled power outage for NPB (fwd)
bullet bullet
  • To: "Carl Malamud [IMS]" <carl@radio.com>
  • Subject: Re: scheduled power outage for NPB (fwd)
  • From: Yoichi Shinoda <shinoda@jaist.ac.jp>
  • Date: Tue, 14 May 1996 00:24:13 JST
  • Cc: not-park@radio.com
bullet bullet

I haven't checked out Chris's code yet, but it sounds like that his effort fits very nice in my proposed approach.

We make his program call nntp/post operation on local nntp server instead of storing it directly to a file system. The nntp server would deliver the posted record to other sites, and kicks a program that does the actual store. (Ofcourse, we can omit the local loop here. It's just a matter of taste ... make guestbook recorder side to both post and store, or just post).

If he does indexing stuff before the program stores a new record, then he have to move that part to the receiver side of the news.

--- shinoda

Carl wrote:

>Hmmm ... here's a possible alternative. Chris got pretty far
>in writing a new guestbook program. The problem with the
>current scheme is that it updates a single file. The new
>code puts each comment in a single file, thereby making
>it unnecessary to have a single master.
>
>You can see his code in /Tools/Guestbook ... his stuff is the
>"guestdir" programs. Missing was a converter that would take
>current entries and put them into the new format and the
>user interface that would allow people to do selective searches
>on the guestbook to read comments (e.g., read by date, read
>by keyword, see the last 10 comments that were entered).
>
>Feel free to take a crack at that code if you think that
>would help. The only thing that Chris had that caused me
>any worry on that code was the use of server side includes to
>automatically include the last ten comments into the "master"
>guestbook page.

Follow-Ups: bullet