Re: scheduled power outage for NPB (fwd)
bullet bullet bullet bullet

Let's make this a joint effort between Shinoda-san and Brad, with participation from Herman and Phil in Amsterdam (please cc us all on not-park so we know what is happening).

A manual switch of the primary place is the first step. Next is to put in the engineering we had discussed previously that allows a hot swap between the two. The only things that appear tricky are:

1) DNS (point to the right place and don't point to a down machine) 2) Guestbook and updates (town is currently the master on this) 3) Proper redirects at the bandwidth.cgi level

I think getting this to work properly would be a very good enhancement to the park. In an ideal world, we could even have Japan and Town loadbalance for each other.

Deadline of May 25 on this one. Do you folks want to shoot for a hotstage test a week before? If you want to automate after the manual test, that is fine, or we can wait a month or so. Either way, I think having full dual-site primary by the end of June would be a good target to shoot for.

Remember, I'm starting to write this all up for an article. I want to be able to say we do more than put a bunch of disks on machines and use ftpmirror (with all due respect to the wonderful work that Lee has done on ftpmirror :).

Carl

According to Yoichi Shinoda:

> Carl, Brad,
>
> Hardest thing to handle would be something that writes,
> e.g. guestbooks, etc.. Let's make sure that we know
> how to handle this.
>
> --- shinoda
>

> According to Carl Malamud [IMS]:
> > From not-rr-owner@town.hall.org Thu May 9 13:00:32 1996
> > From: "Carl Malamud [IMS]" <carl@radio.com>
> > Subject: Re: scheduled power outage for NPB
> > To: not-rr@park.org
> > Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 12:59:19 -0400 (EDT)
> > Sender: owner-not-rr@park.org
> >

> > Don't forget to point DNS to japan (especially don't forget to
> > do it on our backup dns :)) so they become primary. Let's
> > make sure that the script in Japan does the right thing (e.g.,
> > doesn't send people to the U.S.).
> >
> > Carl
> >
> > According to Brad Burdick [UUcom]:
> > >
> > > marten,
> > >
> > > there is a scheduled power outage for the national press building from
> > > 10pm, May 24, to 6am, May 25. i will be shutting down all equipment in
> > > the npb office around 6pm on may 24.
> > >
> > > just fyi in case you needed to change anything routing related on the
> > > railroad to account for the absence of the npb router.
> > >
> > > -brad
> > > --
> > > Brad Burdick bburdick@radio.com
> > > Internet Multicasting Service, NPB, Suite 1155, Washington, DC 20045
> > > Under contract from UUcom, Inc.

Follow-Ups: References: bullet