installing Quantum FWD disks under solaris 2.x
bullet bullet bullet bullet

All,

since most of you have now received your disks from quantum, here is a brief history of the problems we had getting the disks configured under solaris 2.4.

0. we were not successful accessing the disks with any controller other than sun's DWIS/S fast-wide diff. controller. if you need the sun express product #, let me know.

1. be sure that the parity jumpers are ON the disks. this is the default. we had removed the jumpers because of parity errors generated with another fwd controller, which ended up wasting time getting the disks on-line.

2. the pinouts for the scsi id selector on disk are a little odd. they mixed the high order bit jumper with sync or some such which can cause problems and have ground on a separate pin from the rest of the id selector pins. we had to customise our selector cables that came with our rack mount unit.

i'll send email with a diagram of the pinouts if desired.

3. solaris 2.x (not sure about 2.5) requires a patch for fast-wide diff use.

adding

* DWIS/S fast-wide diff work around (patch 102509-XX) - bjb, 01-Sep-1995 set isp:isp_download_fw=2

to your /etc/system file or applying patch 102509-02 or higher will be necessary to avoid hanging the scsi bus when doing probes. both will require a reboot to take affect.

4. disks with a firmware rev. prior to 1050 have an annoying control char. in the vendor string that causes a screen refresh on sun consoles. this makes it very difficult to use probe-scsi to verify that all the disks are being seen. using a serial connection to ttya instead of the console should take care of this if it gets too annoying.

could you all verify that you received fast-wide diff. disks, as well? we had received 68 wide single-ended disks by mistake in our last shipment. checking the product number on the top of the disk on the barcode tag should do. it should be 4301D...the D is the important part. S or W is the wrong disk type.

any problems/questions with these disks should be directed to not-park@park.org.

-brad -- Brad Burdick bburdick@radio.com Internet Multicasting Service, NPB, Suite 1155, Washington, DC 20045 Under contract from UUcom, Inc.